1 Orange; (small)
1 Lemon; (small)
2 tb Izarra; (a liqueur from the
; Basque Region of
4 tb Olive Oil
55 g Pinenuts
3 Free Range Eggs
110 g Caster Sugar
110 g Plain Flour
1 tb Icing Sugar; (level)
Double Cream to serve;
Olive Oil and Plain Flour
2 tb Lemon Curd
1 tb Lemon Juice; (1 to 2)
4 tb Double Cream
1. Brush a 20.5cm base measurement, spring release or a loose base cake tin
with oil then dust with flour, shaking off any excess.
2. Grate the zest from the orange and lemon. Mix together the Izarra and
olive oil. Roughly chop the pinenuts.
3. Set an electric whisk to its fastest speed and whisk together the eggs
and the sugar for about 6 minutes or until pale and thick. Set the whisk to
its lowest speed. Add the orange and lemon zest and the sieved flour and
whisk until just combined. Using a spatula or large metal spoon gently fold
in the Izarra and the oil.
4. Pour into a prepared tin, bake at Gas mark 2 / 150?c / 300?f for 20
minutes. Remove from the oven and quickly sprinkle with pinenuts, pushing
them gently into the top. Dust with the icing sugar and return to the oven
for another 10 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the centre of the
cake comes out clean.
5. Allow the torte to cool for 10 minutes and then flash under a hot grill
for 1 minutes or until the sugar begins to caramelise and the nuts turn
golden brown. Remove the base and serve warm or cold with cream and lemon
6. To make the Lemon Sauce , place all the ingredients in a heavy-bottomed
pan , then heat gently stirring all the time until smooth and well blended.
7. Garnish with fresh mint leaves.