1/2 c Half and half
2 Cloves garlic; chopped
1 Fresh jalapeno pepper;
4 Whole cloves
3 tb Unsalted butter
1/2 md Onion; finely chopped
2 Celery ribs; chopped
1/2 Green bell pepper; finely
3 c Chicken broth
1 1/2 c Carrots; diced
1 c Pearl onions
1 sm Red potato; diced
1/2 c Frozen corn; defrosted
1/2 c Fresh or defrosted frozen
1 1/2 lb Boneless skinless chicken
-breast halves, cut into 1″
2 tb All-purpose flour
1 ts Salt
1/2 ts Fresh ground black pepper
1/2 ts Dry mustard
3 tb Parsley; minced
1 Pie pastry
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
2. In a small pan over low heat, warm the half and half with the garlic,
jalapenos, if using, and cloves until tiny bubbles just surface around the
3. Remove pan from heat, set aside and let spices steep.
4. Melt the butter in a large saucepan over medium heat and add the onion,
celery and bell pepper. Saute until soft, about 2 or 3 minutes. 5. Pour the
chicken stock into the pan and bring it to a simmer.
6. Stir in the carrots, pearl onions and potato and cook until just tender,
about 10 minutes.
7. Add the corn and continue cooking another 3 minutes.
8. Stir in the peas and immediately remove pan from heat.
9. With a slotted spoon remove vegetables from the broth to a medium bowl
and set aside.
10. Return broth to stove over low heat. Add chicken and poach about 3 to 4
minutes, or until cooked through.
11. Remove chicken from broth with a slotted spoon and place in bowl with
12. Measure remaining stock, bring to a boil, and reduce to 1 1/2 cups. In
a small bowl combine flour, salt, pepper and dry mustard.
13. Spoon in a few tablespoons of broth and mix well. Stir this flour
mixture back into the broth and bring it to a boil.
14. Reduce heat and simmer until broth is well thickened, about 2 or 3
15. Strain spices fom half and half, discard, add half and half to broth
and heat through.
16. Mix sauce with the vegetables and chicken, add parsley and taste for
17. Place bottom pie crust into a 9 inch pie pan, pour in the filling and
cover with a second crust. Prick a few steam vents in the top crust. 18.
Bake at 400 degrees for 20 minutes. Reduce heat to 350 degrees and bake and
additional 30 minutes. Cover edges of pie with foil if they appear to be
browning too quickly. Crust should be lightly browned when the pie is done.